Is it just me, or are detachable mags are an unnecessary PIA?

I've got a whole room full of deer rifles. It seems like the DM rifles are the ones that give me the most trouble. My Rem 7600 is top of the list. I've started the season with 5 working magazines and come back with only 1 able to stay in the rifle.

I went hunting for boar the first time with over 40 rounds of 30-06 ammo and Rem 742. The first time I went deer hunting I'd cut it back to 20 rounds.
I'm well past that now. For most of my rifles, I load 3 rounds in a blind mag and that is more than enough. Why only 3? When was the last time I needed 5 rounds to kill a deer? I started the 3-round thing when my sons were small, and the idea stuck. It dawned on me that if I have to go to more than 3, something is wrong and I need to sit back and come up with a new strategy. I carry 9 rounds in plastic 9 round MTM ammo wallet, and that usually does me for the whole season.

Mind you, I'm not saying DM rifles are wrong or bad. I'm not saying we should ban them. I just mean that a detachable mag is not a plus in my book.

Is there a time and place for DMs? Am I missing something?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer