That makes sense. It doesn't make me any happier, but it makes sense.

A detachable mag also makes sense (sort of) when you've got people shooting at you. However, I think a disposable enbloc like the Garand makes the most sense. It's stupid to have to carry around empty mags. I can also see places where it really makes the rifle. The Ruger 10/22 would be another also-ran if it wasn't for the 10 round rotary mag.

On the other hand, a simple blind mag on a bolt gun is one of the easiest things to pull off from a design and manufacturing standpoint. It is nearly foolproof to operate, and can be executed at the lowest possible cost.

Hinged floorplate? OK. I guess. If you want to spend the money. Of all of them, I like my Kar 98's. There is no way that sucker is coming open without some serious intent.

On the other side of the scales I can cite:

1) The Remington 74-whatever/75-whatever/76-whatever fustercluck.
2) All those bolt action shotguns out there on Gunbroker with their magazines missing.
3) The Ruger American Rifle-- Who in flaming Flannery's kitchen thought that was a good idea?
4) All the detachable magazines from all the big game rifles scattered all over the fruited plain, from the mountains to the oceans white with foam, just laying there rusting.

Thankfully, I can say I've never had a trip ruined by one. The closest I've come to date is a Rem 7600 mag falling out of the well 15 feet up in a treestand. I had a spare along, and found it in the leaves after I got down.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer