Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Of interest, the Lee Enfield rifle featured a 10 rd. detachable magazine, but it was not to be removed. The rifle was originally single loaded and volley fired to control the fire sequencing to prevent troops from wasting ammunition. Magazine cutoffs were part of the design. Oxymoronic by today's thinking, but the generals of the day came from musket backgrounds, so the old fashioned thinking stuck around for awhile.

Actually, the British generals of the day often came from backgrounds in campaigning in various small wars, and the experience of the massive difficulties of maintaining supply to the troops. There are any number of examples of the massive logistical issues inherent to keeping a force supplied on campaign, especially when relying on bullock carts on unmade tracks. A concern about keeping ammunition up to the blokes at the pointy end, and hence ammunition expenditure, was therefore by no means irrational at the time the first .303 repeaters were adopted.

Gee, I guess that's why fire sequencing and ammunition waste were a concern. Oxymoronic by today's thinking. Wait a minute, I already said that...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]