Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I really don’t understand why people have to use that light a caliber. If they loose a big animal they will cry like babies.

What personal experiences have led you to believe a 22-250 is a light caliber for deer? I use a 223 and have zero complaints.

Youngsters kill WT’s and hogs with .223’s all the time. Lots of reports, pictures with dead critters.

But, for some mysterious reason, puberty and adulthood somehow changes the equation and the ballistics.

.224 is no longer a lethal or viable game killing caliber.

It is a curiosity, but seems to be a prevalent urban myth.

I’m all for bigger stuff. Folks at my deer camp would probably sniff if I took my .22-250 to the deer stand. But they let kids shoot .223’s. So, I humor them, use my Creed and up from there. .243 would be marginal in their thinking. No problem. I don’t have one, do have a .240. It’s not marginal.

I mostly shoot 6.5 CM, 6.5-284, 7-08, .308, ‘06, .338-06, etc. Need to try my .375 H&H one of these days. I’m sure they’d comment about the “elephant” gun, etc. Too much gun. Spell check just wrote “too much fun”, maybe I shouldn’t have corrected it. This computer may be onto something.

DF