Big Deer little Deer....How does one know which you are going to cross paths with? Let's leave it to Whitetails....In the Northern States you can run into some big body Deer, but not always....Even down in Southern Georgia they have been known to kill Whitetails that go over 200 pounds...Here in Pa. you may see one around 100 or over 200 pounds. Blackhart has some really big bodied Deer where he hunts, but the crew gets along fine with run of the mill .223 bullets...

They are Whitetails and not big or small Grizzlies..how much more penetration does one need for a 100 pound Buck vs a 200-225 pounder? I use Barnes and know I don't have to think about what size may come thru the woods....

Eskimo's and .223's and .243''s taking on Bears and Moose.... Don't know if that is still true today, but at one time it was....Deer fall to pretty much a wide range of arrow weights and poundages, yet when we start throwing bullets at them it becomes a big vs small???? Or with a .22-250, stay of shoulders or better yet shoot them in the head....

I'm with the poster who wrote.... I don't pass on any Deer I would shoot with a 7mm-08, .270, .30-06, etc....and another who said Kid's do just fine with them, but why do Adults think they need more....

This would be a 55grain Barnes, from a lowly .223AI that plowed thru around 4 inches of spinal cord from a head-on shot, at around 120yards....I doubt the shoulders of a big one would have stopped it....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 05/24/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler