Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by RJY66
Did the documentary ding ole USG any for owning/renting slaves or did it just kinda gloss over or outright omit it? Maybe blamed it on his wife? That didn't work for Adam in the garden of Eden.

Yes, and like every southern slave owners bad themed production it played up abuses and whipping of slaves which I don't doubt for a minute really happened to some but was no where near as common and often nor condoned by all slave owners as it's always implied, if for no other reason simply because a healthy, physically sound, working age slave was not only quite valuable but a critically needed asset.

Of course as so typical of cruel slave owner narrative productions early on in the first episode this photo of "Whipped Peter" was shown: [Linked Image] but what they omitted was this: Scars of a whipped slave (April 2, 1863, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA. Original caption: "Overseer Artayou Carrier whipped me. I was two months in bed sore from the whipping. My master come after I was whipped; he discharged the overseer. The very words of poor Peter, taken as he sat for his picture."

This flic/series is going to be the Neil Young version I take it?

FJB & FJT