I read Chernow’s biography of Grant a couple years ago, and enjoyed it. Grant is another one of those people, sorta like Custer and a few others, in that you form a sort of negative opinion, but as you get to know more about them and their times, you gain an awful lot of respect.
Most folks know Custer from the battle at LBH, which influences their opinion.
Most know Grant from the Civil War Overland Campaign and a Presidency filled with scandal.
Grant’s campaigns in the west show that he wasn’t a head down butcher that beat Lee by shear numbers. He was actually a pretty good officer, who recognized the shortest way to end the war. Grant agonized over the casualty figures, but he also knew it was necessary for the country to survive as a whole.
Grant also did a fairly good job as President. He did the best he could for the country as he saw fit, and the scandals were result of folks he trusted taking advantage of their positions.
Considering his life story and the context of the times, Grant was an awful lot better than he gets credit for.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see the show. I thought the one on Washington was pretty good and was looking forward to Grant. Hopefully it’ll be re-aired when I can see it.
Started to read the thread, but too many seem to be more interested in whizzing contest than actual exchange of information! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden