Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Famed future Matabele and Boer war hero and scout Frederick Russell Burnham survived that uprising by being hidden (as a toddler) in a corn crib!!!

Actually I don’t think he was quite a year old.

"Left alone in the log cabin except for myself, an infant of two years, my mother was keeping a sharp lookout for any sign of hostiles ... Early one evening, as she stood in the doorway brushing her hair, she suddenly spied with horror a band of Indians moving out of the timber along the creek, not far away. Realizing that she could never escape if hampered with her baby, she decided instantly to hide me in a stack of newly shocked corn. ... So she tucked me into the hollow depths of a shock and earnestly adjured me to keep perfectly still, not to move or make the slightest sound until she should return.

"As she was young and strong and exceptionally fleet of foot, she managed to reach some hazel bush on the edge of the cleaning just as the Indians surrounded the cabin. ... At daybreak the next morning, she returned with armed neighbors to look for her baby. She found me, as she often loved to tell, blinking up at her from the safe depths of the green shock where I had faithfully carried out my first orders of silent obedience." - Scouting on Two Continents, by Major Frederick Russell Burnham, D.S.O.

First lesson: do what your mother tells you. Second lesson: be very quiet in the presence of hostile Indians.

Had he been found, he would never have become a scout, he would never have become a close personal friend of Robert Baden-Powell, and there might never have been a Boy Scout movement.