Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I had a farm boss 290 and it worked good for many years. One spring after around 10 years I couldn't start it and brought it in for repair and they said the gas line was bad. I had a stihl weed wacker too that had the same problem. Both were bought at the same time probably back in the 2000 time frame. Must have been a bad batch of gas lines. Last year after around 20 years I couldn't start it and they said the carb was shot probably from ethanol gas in the early years. Junked it and bought a cheaper echo at HD and it works really well and starts and runs one pull. The cordless power equipment is getting pretty good. I have a full sized tiller but since I have a decent sized garden I wanted a small tiller that could be easier to get in between the rows. I bought a Mantis cordless and it works really well and beats pulling and pushing a hoe or claw in between the rows. I used it on low power for around a half hour and still had 3/4 of the battery.

I have the same saw. Was getting tired feeling, took it in for it's first service in however long I've had it, over 10 years anyway. For under $100, got a new carb, new plug, cleaned everything up and sharpened it. Runs like a new saw, though she can't compete with my new MS362. I don't remember ever flooding my old saw, but the new one does seem more prone.

If I never left my suburban yard I suppose an cordless saw might be attractive, but outside of that forget it. You'd even have to charge it off the genny in a storm cleanup situation.

MAGA