Whatever, I'm glad you did post on the main forum.

Steve, Burghardt's in Watertown? Was Mecca when I was a novice in 7th grade. The ads in QST weren't up to the illicit copies of playboy that got passes around but close.

New sets intimidating? Not if you understand. I think it was the HRO-500 double conversion (or was it triple) receiver with tunable IF and tunable notch/peak/bandpass filters that intimidated me. But now with software receivers I suppose anything analog is passe. Still have a Hallicrafters S-38C 5 tube shortwave receiver that I need to restore - filter capacitors ya know. The glow and the vision of electrons flying from cathode to plate always fascinated me. Don't get that with transistors, much less ICs. And a bad bypass capacitor that made me test the chassis with a neon bulb to make sure it was plugged in the right way.

Then 8 bit personal computers stole my interest, always was on the tech side,

Never did use ham radio on the road here. Would travel with the old Kenwood 2M HT in the car but generally no activity.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.