Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Originally Posted by Pat85
Just ordered a Mosley tri band classic 33 . They have to build it, won't see it till October they claim. Making DX contacts into eastern Europe and South America with the vertical when the conditions are good on 20 meters.

You have really done your research Mosley make fine antennas... only complaint is they are often not in stock and ready to ship.... You will be amazed at what you can do with a beam antenna... Australia and new Zealand on 20 Meters. beam heading about 270 to 240 degrees from the East coast.... They start getting strong about 11:00 PM Eastern. There is a regular net with lots of stations calling in but that one is in the Extra class portion of 20.... still lots of Hams up and down 20 Meters with their beams headed our way....

After you get your antenna the next step is an amplifier.... again there are a bunch of used amp on the market now because solid state amps are what many of the "Ham loony" type want now. Our 80 something first "Elmer" was all bah humbug when I started talking about an auto tune amp... mine has a tube but I can switch bands and be tuned up to transmit 1500 watts in less than 10 seconds... He called me about a year ago and asked how I was liking my Acom 2000. I told him I was very pleased so he ordered one because he had missed an opening to get one of the last Countries he had not worked yet into his log book....

Picked up a heathkit sb 200 from a local ham. Made a confirmed contact to Hawaii at 200 watts, Australia was a little out of reach.