Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Theeck
Would someone explain to me the appeal of Harleys and that type of motorcycle. If the sports bikes are faster and more maneuverable, why a Harley? Is it an issue of comfort?

That's what I was thinking. In my biking days the HD riders used to give us crap for thrilling out on going fast through the twisties on our jap-crap. They said it was more about comfort, looking good and sounding good. To try and ride a HD quickly on a windy road had the rider looking like a demented ape thrashing around in his seat to control the bike.

Then again ground clearance wasn't as good then and grinding the fold back footpegs was the norm. Some bikes still had fixed foot pegs and I think all the HDs did. Fixed foot pegs stopped you using the whole tyre.

My nearly 700 pound Lowrider handles very lightly, though the geometry is slow. Clearance can be worth paying attention to, but it is hardly difficult to hustle around. Doesn't really do anything to get you puckering. I rode sport bikes for many years, and they are fun, but you have to go 100 to feel them. The Harley is entertaining even at low speeds. Pretty retro feeling, without wrenching on it every 25 miles. Most people who don't like Harleys, have never ridden one. They aren't the end all, but neither is anything else. Pretty well engineered for fulfilling the intended mission...