Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Originally Posted by Theeck
Would someone explain to me the appeal of Harleys and that type of motorcycle. If the sports bikes are faster and more maneuverable, why a Harley? Is it an issue of comfort?
If I have to tell you...you wouldn’t understand.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Some of them look cool and comfortable. For me, I am just not drawn to a bike that is that big and heavy. I guess comfort, power and stability are their strengths. Sport bikes are faster and more maneuverable but probably less comfortable. Personally, I like dirt bikes and the lighter they are, the better in my opinion. If I wasn't a financial failure, I would have a nice Husqvarna 2 stroke enduro. I do think some of the road bikes look cool though. Maybe I'll come around as I age.

I grew up in an area that was loaded with outlaw bikers in the 70s and 80s - mostly Pagans and Warlocks. In fact, 2 that went to the same high school as me (many years before) became notorious killers. When I was a little kid, I was terrified of the bikers. They would roll down the streets with insanely loud bikes in a menacing way. As I grew up, I realized that most bikers are actually just role playing. There are still some 1%ers around but not in great numbers. Most of them are senior citizens or close to it.

Honestly, the Harley's are antiques that work good. At least in feel. Thoroughly modern, a bit quirky, but an old bike feel. Just the same, a guy in the 50's would think it was a rocketship with unbelievable power, ride, and reliability. They are a LOT better than the old stuff. Wouldn't mind having a sport bike, just that I'm poor, and my brains are the winner over my balls, when I see a twisty road. Still, they are fun. Just have to go 100 to start having that fun.