Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by jnyork
Something that always kinda saddens me when I see these threads, many folks in the Eastern part of the country do not have a real grasp on how far it is between stops out here in the West. If you plan too many places to go and see, you will wind up driving more than seeing, driving yourself and your family nuts especially if you have children. Go to one place and stay a few days and see all there is to see there while resting up and really enjoying yourselves. For instance, Cody WY is worth 4-5 days with little side trips. You cant possibly do justice to a Yellowstone trip in a day or two. Reduce the planned number of stops and have a better time.

Gotta agree with this,when we went out a couple years ago,I had a bunch of things I wanted the boys to see ( as I've been out before).
We went into SLC overnight,drove to Jackson,+ Teton NP 2 nights,drove to YNP, camped in West Yellowstone 2n,then to Cody 2 nights, then back,total of 4x thru YNP.
The boys all say it was thier favorite vacation ,they just wish we didn't drive so much.
I took the rap for that as I really wanted to see as much as possible as I know it will be hard to get back.

Bama:
I'm not going to read through this entire thread. So, if this has already been said, I apologise.

YOU CAN'T SEE ALL THAT IN 9 DAYS.

I live a lot closer than you do to those parks and it took two separate summer vacations, each 9 days, to take my grand children to see the area.

First week (9 days);
The Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale Wyoming
Jackson Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons National Park, Jenny Lake
Yellowstone (4 days & 3 nights)
The Museum of the West, Cody Wyoming (2 days)

Second Week (9 days);
Dervils Tower
The Black Hills & Deadwood SD
Mount Rushmore
Wind Cave
The Badlands
Hot Springs SD, Evans PLunge, the Mammoth Fossils museum

And that doesn't even include Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes Provincial Park. Add another week.

Well, we have 18 days.

We plan on 5 nights, 5.5 days in Idaho, visiting YS and GT NP. Only thing on the agenda outside of the parks is a horseback ride. Maybe some fishing

We plan on 3 nights, 3 days outside of Glacier NP. No agenda, just the park

We plan on 2 nights, 2.5 days in SD for Mt. Rushmore, the 1880's train, and the Badlands.

There is stuff we'll miss. I'd love to spend more time in each area, but this is what we've got. I hope I've budgeted enough "windshield time"... 2.5 out, 1 between YS and Glacier, 1.5 between Glacier and SD, 2 home