Originally Posted by BamaCKC
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BamaCKC: Do Yellowstone Park and plan this!
The last leg of your Yellowstone visit do the "North Loop" and exit the Park at the north east entrance (near Silver City, Montana) then travel through Cooke City and take the stunning and breathtaking Beartooth "All American Road" over the Beartooth Plateau and Beartooth Pass (10,947') to Red Lodge, Montana and on to Columbus, Montana.
The VarmintWife and I did this trip 10 days ago and it was full of game including Mt. Goats (4) in Montana and one wild giant Grizzly Bear (wilds of Wyoming) that the wife got great pictures of.
This route was described by Charles Kuralt as "the second most beautiful highway in all of America"!
IF... there is a more beautiful road anywhere in America I have NO knowledge of it.
I thought my new Nikon camera was gonna melt the views and vistas and wildlife were SO spectacular - I was clickin away!
This route is a wonderful and life impressing trip - I have done it many times but it gets more beautiful every time I travel it.
Be sure and stop for the hamburgers in Red Lodge at the "Red Caboose" - it is worth the wait! I bought the "house special" giant hamburger - it was exceptional.
Travel safe and bring cameras, binos and a spotting scope. Saw three Grizzlies in Yellowstone and a blonde Black Bear on this venture as well.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've considered trying to do this on my way back from Glacier to South Dakots

VarmintGuy is right , a trip over Beartooth Pass will be the best part of the drive. I live in Columbus and have been on that drive hundreds of times and it never gets old. The drive to Red Lodge from I-90 at Columbus is a nice drive drive also. The Red Caboose ain't too shabby either.