Originally Posted by BamaCKC

We're staying in Ashton, Id.Everything I've looked at shows Ashton being 45 min from the West entrance. Is this incorrect? I'm ok with 45 min.since this is country we've never seen before and terrain that will be completely new to my kids.

As far as YS to Glacier, I plan on leaving for Missoula sometime after lunch and staying overnight in Missoula. I plan on being somewhere around Hungry Horse close to lunch on Saturday. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashton looks like it is about 50 miles from the West entrance, which may or may not be 45 minutes depending on road conditions. But, that is a minimum hour and a half just to and from the entrance. YNP is huge, and the roads are limited to 45 mph with traffic sometimes being very bad. (This year is weird. The hotels are closed in the parks but the cabins/lodges are open. This could mean less traffic, or it could mean more because more people are driving into the parks from the outside.) If you plan to see a lot of the park, and to stop to enjoy the visitor centers and sights, and to take hikes, it it going to add up to a lot of time. The same goes for Grand Teton NP, which I assume you plan to access via Driggs, Victor and Wilson. (We did that in reverse a couple of years ago.) YMMV, depending on what you are trying to see or do, but it would be too much ground to cover for us because we like to soak up the experience rather than rush from place to place.

You should be fine staying in Missoula. Your post made it sound like a 1 day marathon from YNP to Glacier.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln