I just called Davis as I am interested in another bedroll. They said the tent is already treated and has a lifetime guarantee. They said the wax treatment will reduce the breathing to the point that condensation or frost can occur inside the tent. This will also increase chances of mildew if stored before it is completely dry. So if I wanted a more traditional tent I would see if they could use a bark tan canvas to start with. White is also traditional as seen in many old photos.

Some of the color on the older tents was from having a fire so close to the tent that the smoke colored the tent. I don't recommend this as it is too risky on getting spark holes or catching the whole thing on fire.

If you have already done this than it can be washed out but only if the fabric is pre-shrunk. A tumble in a commercial dryer just hot enough to melt the wax will reduce it and usually not shrink anything.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli