Originally Posted by Georat
O’Conner was a big influence on me as a kid. When I was 13, I saved up my lawn mowing money to buy a “big” rifle and was lucky enough to find a nearly new Remington 700 in .270. My dad couldn’t understand why I wanted a bolt action rather than a pump or semiautomatic I don’t recall exactly what I told him but am sure it wasn’t “because that’s what Jack O’Conner uses.”

That rifle has been my go to since that time. I rebarreled it and added a McMillan stock in the mid-90s and have no idea how many deer have fallen to it but the number is well north of 100. Maybe O’Conner knew what he was talking about?

Yes, maybe he did. I have one .270 and two 30-06s. But as I tell people, the .270 is so perfect you only need one, LOL!
To tell the truth, I loved that rifle so much I just never thought about replacing it. But recently I got a wild hair and was going to build a long range .270 and I found an old Model 721 Remington .30-06 in a pawn shop and bought it with the intentions of rebarreling it to .270 but I haven't shot it yet. I figured it's 70 years old and if t doesn't shoot good I'll do that. But if it shoots good I'm not touching it. I'll just look for another one.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!