Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by drover
One thing I have noticed in his writings is that he could create the story without making himself the centerpiece of it, most of his stories were more about the country, the guides, animals, or the feel of the hunt.

This alone sets O'Connor in a class by himself. Most writers actually write about themselves.

Okie John

I hadn't considered that angle so much. Interesting.

I guess Col. Charles Askins, Jr. would definitely be the notable main character in all his writings....

Elmer, although an excellent story teller, his work reportedly needed some editing... Although JOC and Elmer weren't that far apart in age, both great story tellers, seems to me Elmer was more like Col. Askins in that regard. JOC could spin a tale with enough technical stuff to satisfy the Loonies, enough great story telling to draw the reader into the hunt, experience the surrouindings and life at the hunting camp.

I don't think the Col. or Elmer were in his class as master of the written word. JOC was a polished word smith and a great story teller. I doubt his stuff needed major editing...

DF