First let me say I am 80 years old and in the eyes of the rest of you, I am probably considered an "old timer". I personally really like the 30-06 and believe it to be one of the best all around all around classic calibers ever. But I have never owned one! I have been witness to the 30-06 doing it's stuff for over 60 years in the hands of my best friend; who just passed away this year at age 83. He owned a pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 FWT in 30-06 and used it exclusively for his big game hunting; including white tail, mule, and black tail deer, elk, bear, on occasion coyotes. He was an excellent outdoors man and loved hunting and fishing. He made a career as a Civil Engineer for the U.S. forest service for over 40 years serving as the Forest Engineer in 7 National forests and several Regional offices. He knew the woods better than any man I ever knew. So with that amount of admiration, you would of thought I would follow his lead, but I didn't and ended using a 308 Win for most of my hunting. I read recently where the 308 has replaced the 30-06 as leader in ammunition and rifle sales. That may be true, but I know my old buddy would of stuck with his 30-06, just as I have stuck with my 308 Win. As we all should know by now, It is the skill behind the rifle, more than the caliber. The hunter that knows the capabilities and limitations of his firearm, will prove to be the more successful hunter, than the man the relies just on the most powerful rifle he can tolerate shooting. So my advice is to choose the a rifle adequate for the game you are pursing, know it well, practice with it, and go through life loving the chase and excitement of the hunt! And take time to smell the roses; and the aroma of the fresh brewed coffee!

CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 06/28/20. Reason: typo