Ak variants have always had something about them that resonates that it isn’t there with an AR to me. Going in to a battle I’d take the AR all day. I think an AKM pattern rifle makes sense in Africa with extremely poorly trained people in both firearm care and battlefield tactics. A dusty environment with fighting being at or near bayonet range often against people unarmed or with about zero tactical knowledge.

For someone with basic firearm skills and fighting in a cleaner more urban environment, with basic maintenance/lubrication knowledge, AR’s are cheaper, slap a 1/2 way decent red dot on an AR and most anyone can quickly learn to make hits at ranges a lot faster with an AR.

You can buy a lower end but decent AR and a case of ammo for the same price or less than a typical AKM. A fully modern kitted out AK-74M with optics is probably on par with an AR but by the time that you get into a rifle like that you’ve got bigger money into it and it probably isn’t a rank novice that owns it. A S&W M&P II or similar with a decent red dot is going to be a lot cheaper and something that you can buy anywhere and buy ammo for anywhere. The AR is easier to hit with and cheaper than an old AKM and at least as easy to hit with and a whole lot cheaper and easier to come by then a fully updated AK-74M

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 06/29/20.