i was talking to a friend of mine in the gun business over the weekend about a.k.'s and ar's.
he has been around a long time, seen thousands of each.
since import restrictions have been placed, you are not seeing new arrivals from overseas. the restrictions came in dribbles and drabbles, for a variety of reasons. one of which was when former soviet bloc countries went nato, they had to go to the nato standard cartridge, and a lot of ak's became available as parts kits, minus the reciever. eventually that got shut down.
what you find often today are a'k's made here not to spec, and no where near the former imports quality.,
we wer talking about a kvar bularian kit gun, it was confiscated in another state, sold to a distributor, where i ran across it. didn't work quite right, and put in the hands of a a.k. guru, who put a tapco fire control group in it. very light, very smooth trigger.
shooting it at various ranges, it will for sure stay with a a.r.
I have fired several differnt aka74's including a polish one, mighty fine and once you get past the ugly they are a good weapon. so are the top of the line valmets.
every now and then i see/hear of a limited run of a.k's being built here, by somebody that actually knows what they are doing. I would never turn my nose up at a them. those foreign assembled a.k.'s are pricy these days as they aren't coming in like they were, and build quality was better.
I don't know what they are now, but i saw an original norinco ak go for over 2500dollars.
t he israeli's are not known for being stupid with there weapons, and one of theirs was loosely based on the a.k.
as to the ammo, as with all of it ain't as cheap as it use to be. after the berlin wall fell, you could get east german 7.6 2x39 in cans for about 70bucks for 1400rounds. that was a good time to stock up.
as to the yugo sks with the gernade launcher/night sights. a lot of them were made just prior to the switch to select fire. they were warehoused taken out to test fire every seven years or so, then regreased and put back. I have had the opportunity to tear a number of t hem apart, and found complete matching internals in some of them. in essence, brand new guns. heck of a price too when they first came in, with ammo cariers,sling, cleaning kit, oiler etc.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/30/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO