Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
....Adding a couple of uppers/rifles in 7.62 for 'cheaper' ammo is akin to spending $40k that gets 40mpg over your current vehicle that gets 25mpg....

$40K??!!..........I picked up my uppers for under $300 each at PSA.

Are your uppers able to carry you and the family to the market? Savvy? The $40K that gets 40mpg (that is miles per gallon) refers to a vehicle.

Oh, you can get around in an automobile?....who knew?

Your comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

A $279 upper and 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $250 dollars. it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

It damn sure ain't anything to do with a $40K automobile.

How much 5.56 ammo can you buy for $279

You can probably find cheap steel case for under 30 cents a pop, or boutique ammo for over a dollar. Just depends what you're looking for.

My 5.56 ammo is bulk M855, and smaller quantities of 77gr OTM. I don't go for steel case 223/5.56, because the case body taper of the 5.56 is fairly slight. In the 7.62x39, the generous body taper plays better with steel case ammo.

So there is an argument for low priced 5.56/223 also.

If you were paying attention to my very first post, I noted price/availability. I kind of like having some different chamberings in case availability gets bad. In past shortages, 7.62x39 has always been available.

I also carry 9mm pistols, but have other pistols in common defensive calibers for the same reason.

We all make our choices, and take our chances. Worse case, extra guns/ammo are always good barter material.