Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by retired3100
Those Savage 340's are great rifles. I had one in 30-30 years ago that I used to reload for. It was accurate and fun to shoot. When you reload for 30-30 and can use BTHP bullets, the 30-30 has a totally different personality. I sold it in a fit of, "I see something I can't live without" and now I'm sorry I did. I've see them on GB go for over $400.00.

In your opinion.

In my opinion they are just crappy economy grade centerfire rifles.

Bingo.

There was a very nice Revelation version on GB the other day, with a nice stock devoid of the usual crappy pressed checkering. Nice as any I've seen, but no way would I give more than $400 for that one or any other. For $400, I can get a spanking-new Henry SS with a nice walnut stock with perfect machine-cut checkering, and in a modest selection of cartridges, truly a bargain, and no apologies needed for its looks.

The beater 340s I've seen around here in gunshops usually go for less than $200, complete with a crappy scope.

Can't put a price on nostalgia, I suppose. Fortunately, those hold none for me.
Well they're certainly not a pretty rifle but they sure look better to me than most of the plastic economy shyt rifles on the market today.. Damn those Ruger Americans, T/C compass etc. just make me want to retch. My first dedicated CF varmint rifle was a 340 chambered in .222. It was very accurate and I slew a pile of woodchucks with it. I personally wouldn't give a wooden nickle for a break open single shot from any maker but that's just me. They all just remind me too much of all those cheap old break open single shot shotguns no matter how you dress them up.

All a matter of personal taste, but I can tell you for certain after taking a couple of the Henrys apart to change the mainsprings that there's nothing cheap about them, just simplicity. No plastic, no aluminum even that I saw, just steel and walnut. The Henry levers leave me cold, just personal taste again.

What fresh Hell is this?