Don't Tread on Me!

“She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.”…”but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds til she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of stepping on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?”
The Rattlesnake is found in no other quarter of the world besides America
The rattlesnake also has sharp eyes, and “may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.
She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage
The rattle = the number of the Colonies united in America

Benjamin Franklin to his friend Christopher Gadsden

It was a pro revolution symbol of honorable self defense against the British tyranny.
They became the emblem of freedom in several parts of colonial America. Some wanted them to be the Mascot.

I respect Rattlers. 9 out of 10 Bites are from someone trying to kill them (occasionally catch). I've found a way to keep them away from your property without going through the risk of killing them.