Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It’s a pop gun. I have one that my grandfather made for my father. You put a Chinaberry into the tapered bore and push it a couple of inches down the bore. Then you take another chinaberry, put it in the bore and the you quickly push the plunger down the bore and, with a pop, it sends the first chinaberry at your “enemy”.

The barrel of mine is octagonal and made of oak and was probably made around 1925 +/-. Somewhere along the way, the plunger has been lost.

Chinaberry gun! You nailed it! My Grandfather made it for me probably about 1955. Twin Brother 348srfun had one too. We stayed in trouble with these things. The bore is polished like a mirror and has a choke at one end. I made the replacement plunger this afternoon and it still works....Got to find some chinaberries....

Not only did I not know it was a Chinaberry gun, I'd never even heard of Chinaberries. Though, looking at a picture of them, I might have run across them in my youth without even knowing they made for good projectiles.
we use to have chinaberry wars when we were kids had two big trees in the yard, but we used sling shots.

My thought was slingshot ammo too, but
here they didn't call em slingshots back then