Ladders, scaffs, they can all KILL you if you don't pay attention.

I am a total bear when it comes to setting the feet of a ladder at the proper angle. Or roping off, or whatever. Come close a couple of times. The very worst was on a windyish day, I had some punchlist on a building facade, I was working by myself on the punchlist. So, I would guess 36 feet to the parapet. I'd just climbed to the work point at about 34 feet, braced myself in and was starting to tie off to a lead I'd dropped from the parapet, tied to an A/C unit.

FOOM comes the wind and away we gooooo, it was a huge gust. If I hadn't had the lead in my hands, I'd be dead or crippled. But I got moved over about four feet and the ladder foot disengaged, twisting the ladder so it wouldn't stand any more. So, very effing carefully, I tied the lead to the rungs like I meant it, then monkeyed down with my arms and legs wrapped around the rails. Only after I was a step off the ground did anyone else notice.

Aside from ladders, I've exited two roofs over 20 feet free fall, landed perfectly both times however I don't know how I did.

Needless to say, I always use the biggest effing ladder I can stuff into the work space and never climb it unless I'm happy. Same for roofs. Either cleat it or get me a safety line tied to a locomotive or something.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.