Originally Posted by kkahmann
Don’t get me started.
I’ve had numerous arguments with law enforcement over this both OPP and Conservation Officers. Iam never very far from a firearm and I don’t own any pepper spray. I have told numerous officers that if they leave their firearm at home and just carry Bear spray so will I—otherwise just arrest me. Many have threatened me with arrest—none have carried thru with it. I don’t know a single cop whoever had to pay for his own bear spray—hell they don’t even pay for their own guns.
On average about twice a year a bear wanders thru my yard—I usually go out and holler at them and scare them off—if they leave and don’t come back its all well and good. If they don’t leave at my request I deal with it—as you can imagine. I do Not notify the local authorities or anyone else for that matter—i can’t stand the inane questions and statements from gov’t employees—not to mention the paperwork.
Predatory Black Bears are not common—very rare really. I have never met one and I earned my living chasing bears for a lot of years. I think a bear that hunts you for food might just get you even if your armed.
A stout stick will handle the majority of black bears and I would have as much confidence in that than I would a can of spray.

I considered that when you report killing nuisance bears, they have to drop by and ask those questions. It's their job. One of the things they often do, depending on the animal, is investigate to see if it is sick. Rabies is always no. one. I agree that calling the authorities is usually bothersome.

When we worked air wpns ranges in bear country, we carried shotguns.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]