Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by Joezone
They show up in places you don't expect on occasion. Someone I consider absolutely reliable saw a grizzly in Washington south of Mt Rainier. Several years ago a black bear was seen wandering through the U district in Seattle late at night.

Last Fall, I was deer hunting on a ranch about 60 kms North of Medicine Hat. While I didn't see a bear, I found a steaming pile of what looked to me like bear schitt. No snow and the ground was dry and hard so I couldn't see any tracks. I have seen plenty of it in the past so, being on the bald azz Prairie a long way South of the Parkland region where there are bears, this was a surprise. I took a photo of it with my cell and showed it to a few folks who I know are familiar with bears to confirm my suspicions. Every one of them agreed with the assessment that it was bear schitt. So, yep, they do show up in strange areas.
In addition to the White tail, Mule deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose and Cougars in SE Alberta, I also believe Black bears are slowly repopulating the area. Makes sense as they were once common here as were Grizzly.
Jeff

Several black bears have been spotted and one taken this spring by a young guy, just east of Sedalia.

Pitter Patter!