For those 32-40 fans

I refer to my other post on Mule Deer's 1893 Marlin in 32-40. If you are a handloader I'd suggest finding a Accurate Arms No. One loading book. It provides both the black powder velocity Shutzen loads as well as HI-V loads for modern steel level guns. Ken Waters Pet Loads books are also a value.

If you don't want to be limited to the 170 gr flat nose you can try using the swaged method of different weight 8mm's and filing the nose if used in a Marlin or Winchester. For those 99 Savage folks, have at it with spitzers. Lee makes a good swaging die and I use Alox lube. Swaged 8mm's bring you into the shadow world of load experiment and you need to proceed with caution. As I note, I used the Ken Waters method of case web expansion and careful examination of fired cases.

As noted earlier, sometimes fast is not necessarily accurate and Waters notes that in his book. I also found that changing primers made a notable difference and suggest caution.

Still, the 32-40 is perfectly adequate for deer size game and 100 yard shooting.