The best one I've had (so far) was a '70 Series GM that I had redone for IPSC shooting. After using it 'as-is' for several years, I had a local smith build it right. He sent it off for checkering and also had Accurate P&W for hard chroming. It had a lot of other work, beavertail, 3.25lb. trigger job, Bomar Sights, Patridge front sight (dovetailed), and a compensator on a bull barrel that he designed. I took the compensator off and used it without the comp for other things, and he'd fitted the factory Colt barrel up with a good solid bushing up front. I never tried to group it at 50 yards, but I could hit whatever I wanted with that gun, at pretty much any distance. I shot it until the frame got tired and cracked on me. It was worked pretty hard over the 25 years I used it. I wish I'd have kept it.

I've now got a Custom Shop 1991A1 demo gun that I picked up for $500 right around 1995, it's got a beavertail, 4.5.lb trigger, and some other goodies, but it won't shoot like that "built" gun did. It's a nice gun, never given me any issues at all, but it's just not the gun the other one was. I've also got a Ruger SR-1911 Target that is the Custom Shop gun's equal, accuracy-wise, but it doesn't have the "personality" of that old Colt, either. No matter, I like them both.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.