Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by devnull
I just tested some Speer 75 gr Gold Dots in a 1/8 twist Tikka .22-250. With RL-16, they were shooting knots and were coming out b/t 3,125 and 3,242 fps dependent on charge weights. I think they would make excellent deer medicine.

I've gotten the 75 Gold Dots to just over 3000 fps out of a 22" 1:8 223 loaded with 450's and CFE223. I'm sure they will be quite excellent killers, given how well the 62s and 64s of the same design have worked for me on deer at your 75 gr 22-250 velocity in my 223.

That's moving in a .223. Ever looked at Quickload for that load? I ran it through GRT and it looks like your pushing in the neighborhood of 67,500 PSI.

Yep, it's warm. But it hasn't harmed cases in any way I've been able to detect yet. Primer pockets are fine, etc. I'm not recommending it, just saying that I do it. I worked up to it and actually backed off to the 3000-and-change fps load because it shot the best. There was a lower "node" that shot just as well at about 2780. I'm getting 3/4" groups, about as good as this particular rifle has done. I'd back off a ways if swapping powder lots or brands of brass....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.