Originally Posted by southtexas
will a 60gr Partition stabilize in a 14" twist? thanks

Same deal for me as HuntnShoot and Sam H, and I am also at 4000 feet in Montana. But also like HuntnShoot, they shot a lot better in faster twists, even 1-12.

In fact, if I recall correctly the 60 Partition was designed for shooting deer with the .223, and at the time the bullet was introduced most commercial .223s had 1-12 twists. It might seem that the extra velocity of the .22-250 or Swift would make up the difference, but in reality even several hundred fps more velocity makes far less difference than an adequate rifling twist. (This is all explained in a chapter in the first Big Book of Gun Gack, as well as other sources, but somehow old myths die hard, including the one that a little more velocity will suddenly make an unstable bullet shoot more accurately.

For one thing, any slight change in environmental conditions can make the same bullet unstable. Another factor is the "original" inaccuracy may have been due to a "starting" powder charge burning erratically, and a larger charge burning more consistently. This is common with today's powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck