Originally Posted by castnblast
The original highway was built with curves where they didn't need to be, so that military convoys could not be easily strafed by Japanese fighter aircraft. To emphasize the driving experience on the original very curved and sinuous highway, and for nostalgia I offer this bit of graffiti humour:

Winding in, and winding out,
Leaves my mind in serious doubt,
Whether the lout who built this route
Was going to hell, or coming out!

castnblast;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you folks in Saskatchewan and you all are well.

My family drove the Alaska Highway up to Whitehorse somewhere in the early '70's.

We were in a passenger car, pulling a pop up style trailer with the tiny wheels they had back then. I still have no idea how they made it up and back!

Anyway it was all gravel then as I recall and very much a winding road for sure.

The verse you quoted was on a little wooden tourist plaque that Dad bought in Whitehorse, so any time someone mentions the Alaska Highway it's the first thing I think of!

Oh, back then there were still some trucks and large equipment that must have either broken down or been abandoned when it was completed.

Thanks for taking me back down a road in my mind I might not have otherwise sir. All the best to you all and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"