I spend a fair amount of time hoisting an Olympic barbell and find that substantially increases my recoil tolerance.

At seventy I am still a CrossFit addict and have been so for around 10 years. The virus has caused me to install heavy rubber mats in my house along with the associated gear. I do miss group classes!

I use the 270 or 280 for most BG hunting and have done so successfully beginning in my 20’s. I primarily use the 270 because factory ammo is available whereas I can’t rely on finding 280. Actually I believe the 280 is ever so slightly better. For NA use I’d probably pick the 280 but carefully plan my trips by shipping ammo to my destination in advance. A fully loaded 30/06 is manageable but a little “snarky”. To reduce a 270’s recoil shoot 130‘s loaded with H4895 or use the 110 TTSX. I’ve had many magnums but got over that stage in my 30’s. A big gun is either a 375 or 416.

I could get by with a 25/06 if necessary.

I have a distinct preference for an all up weight of 7# or a little less (6.75) because I have my rifle in my hands most of the time. Regardless of level of conditioning, a rifle carried in ones hands needs to be lighter.

I get a chuckle watching guys who strap their “tacticool” rifle plus wind gauge, plus multiple optics, plus shooting mat, plus electronics, and more onto a backpack which then totals over 25#. Next I expect to see a laptop and a portable charging device.

Last edited by RinB; 09/04/20. Reason: spelin & grandmer

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.