Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
I haven’t reached the point of backing-down in recoil levels .....yet! I’m getting ready to build a load for my Marlin Guide Gun, using a 430 grain cast bullet. The velocity goal is somewhere around 1800 to 1900 FPS. I’ve heard it may recoil a bit! whistle memtb

I shoot 350g@ 2281fps and 460g @1812fps. HUGE difference in recoil in my Marlin 1895. I recommend you shoot those 430's with irons. Have only shot the 460s once with a scope - the recoil is enough to break orbital bones, around 52 ft-lbs. The 350's are my go-to elk load for the .45-70.

Coyote Hunter, It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a scope eyebrow.....but, managed to, a couple of days ago.

I “ bumped-up” my load on the 45-70 by one grain, pushing it to around 1820 fps. Felt recoil is still comfortable (maybe it’s the pad), but, the rifle gets pretty active ...jumps off of the rest during recoil. I think that I may have been too relaxed. It appears that I allowed my head to move forward under recoil......thankfully the scope stopped it! grin The groups weren’t as good as the previous load. It looks like the 1790 fps load is the keeper! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024