I am older than anyone who has posted their age so far and I have gravitated to light recoiling rounds for hunting and shooting. My most used cartridges are the 22 LR and 223 Rem.

I shot high-power competition for 40 years using 308, 7/08, 260 and 243, most matches I fired 200 or more rounds per day and I reached the point that I despise recoil. Try doing that for a week it wears on a person, I can shoot without flinching but the enjoyment of shooting higher recoil rifles is done. I truly believe that recoil has a cumulative effect over the years - I have reached mine and am not ashamed to admit it.

Heck, I have come to dread the recoil the recoil of 400-500 rounds of PD shooting out of my 223, by about 250 rounds my fun-meter is pegged. If I weren't so stocked with 223 components I would seriously consider starting to use a 17 Hornet for gopher and PD shooting.

As far as big game - the largest rifle I have left is a 243 Win and since I have the luxury of a long season and being able to hunt out my backdoor it is my elk cartridge. With good bullet placement it is entirely capable of dropping an elk as well as bigger calibers.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.