CZ 550 for me. I live in grizzly country (we get them right in our farmyard time to time) and used to pack a .45-70 but wanted something more versatile and have long bin fascinated by the .375 H&H calibre and what the pros say about it. So i did my research, took a look at CZ and Winchester mostly. I went with the CZ. I liked the lines a little better, i liked the sights better, i liked the capacity better, as others have said.

Also, when Rigby couldn't get Mauser actions during WWII they chose BRNO (CZ) actions for their rifles. You can still find the occasionally high-end Rigby for sale with these actions. Indeed i have read reviewers who say they cycle BETTER than the magnum Mauser actions they are styled after. They have a reputation for flawless dependability amongst PH's in Africa where it has been commented that more PH's carry CZ's than any other rifle. I thought, good enough for Rigby, good enough for PH's, good enough for me. Oh, i have also read comparisons where it is the most accurate of rifles tested - including Winchester - right out of the box.

So i bought a base model, about $1,200. As many others have written, the bolt needed some breaking-in, but after several hundred cycles it became very smooth. Also, while the walnut was perfectly decent the stock was overbuilt and rudimentarily finished. I reshaped and refinished the stock (planed, sanded, stained and oil polished) based on the lines of the old Rigby stocks. I also put a barrel-band sling holder on and had the barrel shortened 2" from 25" (too long for me) to 23" which i think is perfect. There was no effect on the superb accuracy.

It now looks and handles like vintage high-end working safari rifle. I reckon for $1,200 that's what you get from CZ - a high-end rifle in the rough. A little elbow grease and you end up with the equivalent of a $5,000 rifle cos of course that's where much of the cost is in these premium brands - the time put into hand finishing. And you can get one of those with CZ too, if you don't mind paying that much and don't want to do the work yourself. With a lower-priced CZ you have a great platform. Oh, the set trigger is a really nice feature too, on the range or on the stand. I carry this rifle with me everywhere in these hills and even on the farm when i'm in the thick stuff and the dogs have bin going nuts at night and those little tufts of silver tipped hair are on the barbed wire along with those big, long-clawed tracks. Love it. I've worked up some nice handloads for various hunting duties.

I have recently heard they are discontinuing manufacture of their magnum rifles, however. I have also heard more recently manufactured ones are not what the older ones are (but others saying their late models are just fine.) So i suppose there may be some urgency in finding one.

Last edited by gulo; 09/09/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey