Originally Posted by marktheshark

Of
I actually worked for a few years for a funeral home doing after hours "pick ups" and occasionally helping out at funeral services. One of the guys at the volunteer fire company I was a member of at the time was head funeral director of a large local home and knew I had dealt with plenty of death in the Corps and as an urban EMT and asked me if I wanted a part time job. Pay was pretty darn good, $100 for a private residence pick up, $75 for one from a hospital, nursing home etc. Not bad for an hour or 2 of time. We used a windowless white minivan as our "first call" pickup vehicle. Only thing that sucked was had to be onsite within an hour of receiving the call and dressed in a full suit/tie etc. To this day almost 20 years later its the only 2 suits i own lol. Also could pull a couple hundred bucks ushering and driving the limo or flower car for a funeral service.

My 1st wife died of cancer on Christmas morning. I had to call hospice and they came out. They called the funeral home (all plans were made in advance) and they had to come out. Of course they were all dressed up like you said. I really felt bad having to call them out on Christmas morning but you have to play life as it comes.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.