Am puzzled to read some of this. Have owned a .17 HMR since 2002, and never experienced FTF, while using a bunch of different ammo. My rifle's very first 3-shot group at 100 yards measured .24 inch, and just about any ammo will do .5 to 75 for 5-shot groups, Always stock up when I find a good deal, normally paying $10 or less per brick. Have a wide "variety," but most is made by CCI, no matter the brand name.

I do find the .17 HMR very useful on prairie dogs, especially for the initial shooting of a town, due to the low report compared to centerfires--which allows shooting for considerably longer before they get spooked. Usually shoot it until all the dogs within 150-200 yards (depending on the wind) have either been killed or spooked--mostly the former. Then switch to a centerfire. But very early on learned that plastic-tipped bullets are far more effective on small varmints than hollow-points. Have run into a number of people who think the .17 HMR isn't very effective--who turned out to be using hollow-points.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck