Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was just under a month old according to a certificate I have. I do not remember asking to be baptized or knowing the Lord God when it happened so therefore I do not believe I was truly ever baptized.

I am a Baptist, and I believe in the following, a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ and as admission into a local community of faith. Believer's baptism is often referred to as adult baptism due to the belief that faith cannot exist prior to the age of accountability. My true to me Baptism, was on September 23, 2006, at Lee Street Baptist Church, in Enterprise, Alabama, where I was fully immersed. Praise God!

Lynn

Miss Lynn

When you are babtized as a baby, isn't it called a christening. My wife was raised Catholic but can't remember the term. I was raised pentecostal, but we are now Nazerine.

Texczech,

Apparently I was "Baptised" as I was without a name until the moment the Baptism happened and God accepted my given name and me into his realm. The certificate I have says "Baptism". Truth is the Catholic Church has some odd ways about them, and as I got older I began to see things that made no sense to me according to the Bible, and were actually contrary to God's teachings. After my questioning started I drifted from God.

It is quoted that "Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated."

So, in the Catholic Church both cermonies are a part of the "WHOLE" act of the child being given to God, but only after the parents, and the godparents who are all asked if they will allow for the name and the subsequent baptising of the child into the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

Excuse me for being longwinded in my explanation.

Lynn

Miss Lynn
Thank you for the answer. Not long-winded at all. I think you explained it well. Definitely something I didn't know. I don't have any problem with the Catholic Church, I just don't see the need for all the rituals for me. Personally I believe all the different denominations give us all a place to be comfortable with. Hope you have a good day.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.