Originally Posted by TheKid
I see a suggestion above for drinking 16oz per hour when hunting or hiking. Lots of you guys talk of drinking gallons of water per day. Question, where do you carry all of it? If I leave from camp in the morning and I’ll be gone 10-12 hours or more where do I tote a half case of water?

I may not drink enough, I generally have 1 cup of coffee, 1 canned Coke with my lunch, 2-3 bottles of water during the day depending on what I’m doing, a glass of sweet tea with supper and a bottle of beer at night. Typical day above, if I’m building fence or something like that I’ll drink more water but I just rarely find myself thirsty.

Tomorrow I am planning on a hike. 3 miles up from 7200' to 8400' then back the same route to the truck. Temps in the low 80s and around 12% humidity and bright sun. I will start with 3 quarts in a platypus and a 16 oz bottle w/ Nuun electrolyte. There will be an additional 16 lbs. of water that is carried for ballast and will be dumped at the top. When in an area with proven sources of CLEAR water I will carry a Steripen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in addition to the Platypus. 12 hours hunting in the mountains for me is usually divided between movement and glassing about equally. I usually carry about 25lbs which includes my rifle.

For me , a hydration system like the Platypus make it easier to stay hydrated.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC