I have participated in (2) 1 mile shoots with black powder cartridge rifles. Didn't make it this year, both times in the past I used my 45 2 7/8" Shiloh sharps, it's a Business rifle model with a 30" round barrel and an original style chamber for original style paper patch bullets. The mold is an adjustable for length and weight I run them 1.462" long at 540 grains 1-50 alloy pushed by 106 F g black. The target is a 12x7' piece of steel with a black paint job and 5' white bullseye. It is small but very visible at 1760 yards. 9/20 is the best I've done. My gun and load are more capable than I am. Elevation you can dial but windage is the great equalizer. Last time I shot it I had on 348 moa of elevation and was 52 moa left windage to connect. Even when the wind isn't blowing you need 2.5-3 moa for precession it takes 7-8 seconds for the bullet to get there. So you can shoot follow thru take a drink of water then look thru the spotting scope to watch your shot hit. Last shoot I went to was won by a wyo guy shooting his 50 2 1/2" shiloh with 700 gr bullets and a big dose of Fg. Once you have the equipment it is practice that gives you the ability. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "