Originally Posted by RiverRider
Most interesting thread here.

IIRC, Quanah Parker was the son of a white captive woman, Cynthia Parker.

I did not know about Sammy Baugh being a rancher near the Double Mountain area. I've passed through there a few times, most recently to associate with the southwestern 24hcf gathering in Arizona. I had no idea the persona of Gus McRae was based on Sammy Baugh.

What's really interesting is that Gus McRae and Woodrow Call and the Lonesome Dove story are based loosely on the story of Oliver Loving and Charles Goodnight. They partnered up to drive cattle up to New Mexico and Colorado. Loving died much as Gus died as depicted in Lonesome Dove, except mit all took place along the Pecos River. Goodnight was pretty much devastated and IF I recall correctly took Loving's body back to Weatherford, Texas to be buried.

If I recall another bit of history correctly, Goodnight had made friends with Quanah Parker who gave blessing to Goodnight's desire to ranch the Palo Duro Canyon.

I'm not 1% the scholar Birdie and KW are and never will be, but there's enough Texas history to keep the most casual student of history very, very busy.
You are exactly correct. I first read of Cynthia Ann Parker in a short narrative "Me Cynthia Ann" detailing her story of being re-patriated to her relatives after the Texas Rangers attacked the Comanche village where she lived after being taken captive in central Texas many years before. The story is in J. Frank Dobie's book, On the Open Range, which my Grandmother gave me years ago. It is one of my most treasured possessions though sadly, in bad shape after me reading the tales aloud to my own children, over and over again. My son especially, enjoyed them.

Cynthia Ann was married to Peta Nocona, a big Chief amongst the Nokoni. The Nokoni band was decimated at the Pease River after the Texas Rangers followed them there after the Nokonis raided Parker County again in 1860. Quanah later stated that Peta was not present at the Pease River fight and died around 1863 never having regained his full health after a fight with Apaches.