Originally Posted by iskra
I'm in California and measure costs, particularly skilled labor costs, at accentuated values. Too often, putting projects out of reasonable ballpark!
That said, I'm with the vast majority suggesting begin with such as a 300 Mag action. I'll add even though more pricey, with patience possibly just to find a 300 Win Mag with the whole factory 'shebang' done for you. I understand when 'researched' and heart set on particular cartridge. But much to be said re 300 Win Mag considering 100% "factory production" A heavier initial investment, but if 'no substantial alterations and you can live with the factory round, presumably $$$$ saved there. If you change stock, just keep the original! Below mine.
As usual, you pay your money and you take your choice! I'm just a great Occam's Razor advocate!
Best & Good Luck! Hope whatever your decision, your keep your 'public' here informed how it all turns out! smile
John

Hes not asking about a 300 win mag. In the pre 64 world theres a huge difference between it and the H&H. Im thinking most of the guys here would rather put their nut in a vise than to destroy an original 300wm. Good luck ever finding one of those at a sane price too. Its likely not going to happen. He's wanting an H&H. The best alternative is to find an H&H (300 or 375) and go from there. Too much fiddling around to turn his std's into an H&H and then theres the guys that will always point out the fact that the rifle is not correct. An H&H belongs in an H&H action. Another funny thing about the H&H receiver is it makes a dandy action to build short magnums off of too. For one thing, they are lighter. They also allow for more room in the magazine, both depth wise and length wise. You have the best of all worlds, if you are wanting to build a lightweight 300wm or 338wm. The one I have weighs in at 7 pounds and it holds 4 in the mag box. The same can be said for my 300WBY that is a rechambered 300H&H.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA