Originally Posted by patbrennan
So far I have had the original H&H barrel installed (by Gary Flach) and he cleaned up the bolt face at the same time. I have found a pre 64 monte carlo that is solid and uncut, but checkering is worn. Bouncing back and forth between that stock and the aftermarket stock that needs a makeover and still keeping an eye out for a good lightweight synthetic that would be appropriate.
Right now I am fighting off some gun cabinet rationalization that has me wondering whether to continue with the project or just stick with the two really nice pre 64 fwts I have. Meantime I ran into a decent 264 WM westerner through a friend, but that one will be the first to go. Definitely first world problems!

The 300H&H is kinda like a +p 30-06. Still practical enough for everything without being too much into the "magnum" territory. If one owned one of them along with a nice pre64 270, they'd want for nothing and have a nice classic pair of rifles. I'd pass on the 264 as it really doesn't have much to offer over a 270.

I'd go with the walnut stock with a M8 4x Leupold for the classic rifle ensemble. smile Have it bedded and sealed up. You could get Gary to clean up the checkering a bit. You can always get a synthetic down the road but seeing that the walnut stock already shows use, you won't be afraid to use it some more.