Originally Posted by JeffyD
My dad's mother passed when he was 15. At 16 he came home from school to find the house locked up, his belongings in the yard, and his father gone. Dad was taken in by his best buddy's family. When they were old enough, they both enlisted in the Army. Despite the recruiter's promise that they would stay together, dad was assigned to a coastal artillery unit in Panama, and his best friend, George, to the infantry. George was killed crossing the Rhine in 1945. It wasn't until after dad had passed in 1988, that I learned that they were half brothers.

I knew a guy who's parents were divorced, as a kid he was close to his biological father, not so much to the step-father that his mom married.

In his teens he found out that his step-father was his biological father, the mom had been having an affair with the guy while still in her first marriage, and that he himself was no biological relation to the man who he had been close to growing up.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744