Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Not me but my BIL who's 75 now. His father divorced and remarried many years ago. He and his his sister came from the 2d marriage. Their mother wouldn't let their father tell them that he'd had a son from his 1st marriage so my they didn't know they had a brother until Mom died about 15 years ago. My BIL was very nervous about meeting him but he sucked it up and went to visit. They really hit it off. They look a lot alike and have some common interests. They've become best friends and do things together. Dad was forced by Mom to leave the 1st son out of his will. After she died, and my BIL and his sister got to know the 1st son, they insisted that Dad include him in the will. Dad died this summer and they had a 3 way split of the estate. That was very generous of them as it was a lot of money but they figured that fair's fair. They weren't about to screw up relations with their new found brother over money.

I've got two cousins in their mid to late 60s who are half siblings but didn't meet until about 5 years ago despite living within 10 miles of each other for the majority of their lives. Dad had a son with first wife who died young, son went to live with her sister/Aunt. He remarried a few years later and had daughter. Apparently all those years the Aunt had told the kid not to speak to Dad or step-mom because they would send him to an orphanage and told Dad that son hated him and didn't want to see him. Years later after Aunt died her other sister finally confessed what had happened.