Dad only owned one rifle. A model 88 Winchester in .308. A 1955 model. He bought it and a .300 Savage for me the same day. About all we did with it was add a Williams peep and get a trigger job.

He wasn't much of a hunter but loved going with me. I never used it much, nor did he. I killed a few deer, one elk and a huge porcupine right after I got out of the Marines as I lacked a rifle of my own.

He was in his late 80's when he gave it to me. It had been neglected and misused by some borrowers. I fixed a cracked stock, bedded it and cleaned it up. I also replaced a chancey scope with a 2-7 Leupold. I'm not sure how it happened but a 1 1/2 to 2 inch rifle went to a 3/4 in rifle with the same handload we came up with for it 40 years before. I still never used it much as I prefer the '06 and bolt guns for most use.

Time has passed and my oldest boy has it now. He is keeping it for my grandson who is left handed. The same grandson gets my 39M and a 1917 1899 Savage TD in .250-3000. It should give him a fair start. I'm pretty sure dad likes that. Especially since all four of us have the same names.