Before my dad went into the Navy in 1943 his two firearms were a Mod 67 Winchester single shot 22 and an Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga. single barrel break open shotgun. They both reside in my safe now. The 22 was used on all kinds of small game but primarily as a woodchuck gun back when all the local farmers were at war with 'chucks. Out to about 50 yds. just about any head shot will anchor them in their tracks. I was helping a friend cull woodchucks in the early 1990's and just had to recreate the old fashioned rimfire 'chuck hunting experience that was once so common before we all began popping them at 200 yds. with a high power, centerfire, scoped rifle. On his old 16 ga. shotgun; I got the barrels re-blued, receiver re-casehardened, and some other work done on it over 40 years ago. My next project for that is a pheasant, as it probably hasn't taken a pheasant since about 1939- 1942, or shortly after WW2. Never had time for that project but now that I'm retired it's on my projects list and I know of a nice pheasant hunting preserve which is about the only way I can even find a pheasant these days.